Historic buildings of Burnham
As those readers of the site history pages will know Burnham on Crouch has a long and varied history and of course it has the buildings to match. Burnham has an incredible 117 - yes one hundred and seventeen buildings which are listed as grade 2 or better by the Secretary of State for the Department of the Environment.
Details of buildings built before 1703 plus a few other special buildings are listed below are listed below.
For Further details contact Burnham Museum or Maldon District Council Conservation Officer on 01621 854477.
|Royal Corinthian Yacht Club||
Designed by Joseph Emberton in 1930 winning national architectural award
Rebuilt in 1878 to a design by F Chancellor but incorporating some features of the 14th Century Church in the southporch and doorway. The interior has a 15th Century font and a brass and sword of Sir Arthur Harris who died in 1631
A late 16th Century red brick house standing in a park of 30 acres now used as a caravan park. The original building was completed in 1569 . The south wing was destroyed in 1740 and the east and north wings remain.
Substantial rebuilding of the east wing took place in the nineteenth century. There are many original features including windows, chimney stacks and staircases.
|The Old Tudor Cottage||
A 16th century building formerly the Greyhound Inn is a timber framed building which was renovated in the twentieth century. The building is in Tudor style with lattice leaded lights. The interior has a priest’s hole approached by an iron door in the fireplace.
|The Clock Tower||The iconic landmark buld by public subscription in the memory of Laban Sweeting.|
|Creel Cottage||An 18th century weatherboard cottage that is a splendid example of the many weatherboard cottages|
|Warners Hall||Built in about 1850 as the home to the powerful Auger family|
A 17th century red brick house with 2 wings. There is a fine chimney stack with 4 diagonal shafts to the east side which is believed to be original.
|The Quay||An impressive row of 18th century buildings|
|St Marys Church||St Mary's Church often referred to as the Cathedral of the marshes|
|Burnham Hall||a 17th century timber frame and plastered house|
|White Harte Hotel||A hotel famous for the capture of the pirate Fiddler during the reign of Elizabeth 1|