Royal Burnham Yacht Club

 

Royal Burnham Yacht Club

The Royal Burnham Yacht Club was formed in 1895 and became an instant success.

By 1927 its reputation was sufficiently high for King George V to grant the Club approval to include Royal in its name making it the Royal Burnham Yacht Club. The current Royal Patron is Prince Phillip.

Expertise quickly developed that led to an Olympic gold medal in 1908 and 1930. This continued a long association with Olympic, World and National champions.

 Click here for more details of yachting gold medals

The development of the Royal Burnham One design is one of the oldest club designed yachts in the country.

The Club halted its activity during the war although the clubhouse played a major part as the centre for HMS Matthew the naval shore base at Burnham.

Sailing Resumed in August 1945 although subject to a local instruction that yachts should give a wide berth to landing craft whether moored or underway!

In 1946 HMS Matthew was closed but as a parting gift the Navy presented a Cup to be called the St Matthew Cup which was to be competed with by the 4 Burnham Clubs on an annul basis. To this day the cup is competed for and considered one of the biggest prizes on the River.

 Click here for more details about HMS Matthew.

The Royal Burnham Yacht Club remains a very strong club with and active social programme.

It is affectionately known as the RB locally.

There is a strong offshore fleet, a growing dinghy fleet as well as competitive keelboats, a strong cruising section is strong and  a large and active motor yacht section

The Royal Burnham Cadets offer a Junior section.

The Quay, Burnham on Crouch , CM0 8AU

Tel: 01621 782044

 Click here to visit the web site for the Royal Burnham Yacht Club